If you’re in a hurry and just want to find out what the best men’s hiking boot for wide feet is, then we recommend the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot.
When you go hiking or even as much as simply camping and walking around, the right shoes can be incredibly important. Most of us tend to know this, but there are some people who have a problem they cannot control…wide feet. Shoes or boots that are made for wide feet can eliminate any issues before they arise.
When hiking, your feet are vastly important. If you begin to have issues, it could cause terrible sores to pop up on your feet. This can cause pain and even possible infections. To avoid this, boot companies have been attempting to make boots that can be worn without any major issues.
By the way, as an Amazon Associate, I earn when buying qualified products through links on my site.
This is not always well-known, so we wanted to highlight a few of these companies and some of the products we feel you’ll love. Before we discuss which are the best men’s hiking boots for wide feet, we wanted to highlight a few other things one needs to consider before buying them. Let’s get started.
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks…
How to Choose Men’s Hiking Boots for Wide Feet
Comfort and Fit
We already mentioned a little bit about this, but it’s clear that people with wide feet are not always considered. It seems, however, that outdoor brands care more about these people. It can be seen with wide selections that offer wide foot options in most of their boot lines.
Support is important for these shoes, such as the portion where one’s heels go. If this contains very little support, not only will your feet hurt but your lower back may also suffer.
Comfort is important in this world, so finding the right fit can be hard to do. Those that are created for people with wide feet are likely going to be a good fit as long as you get your normal shoe size. Keep in mind, however, that shoe sizes can differ depending on the country you’re in.
Women & Men often have very different sizes in clothing and shoes too. A woman could wear the same size as a man in some areas but their number is not going to be the same. As a result, you need to be aware of the size you normally are and measure the wideness of your feet.
If the measurements of a particular boot is too small, even in your regular size, it is best to find a different boot or a bigger size. Sometimes, men and women wear different sizes with certain brands compared to others. This does not mean they are growing too large or small. Rather, it’s all about the way the boots or shoes are made.
Weight of the Shoe
This is often a very big issue with shoes made for the outdoors as well as those for use in factories and on construction sites. They are often made to protect your feet, so you’ll naturally get a boot type that could be heavier as a result.
Things like leather or steel toe inclusions are going to have some level of weight to them. Add in the rubber these boots will have at the bottom, and you could deal with a pretty heavy boot. The best hiking boots should be as light as possible!
Hiking boots, by design, are going to be just as light as tennis shoes or only slightly heavier. The way to consider the type of weight you can deal with is by trying on some boots before buying. It’ll be good to do this or simply look at the weight online and get an idea of how much you weigh too.
A good way to factor this is by considering a few big measurements. For construction or factory work, boots should not be any higher than 3 to 5% of your body weight. Meanwhile, for hiking or athletics, they should not be bigger than 1 to 3% of your body weight. For example, a man at 200lbs can wear up to 10lbs for construction or factory work but only 2 to 5lbs for hiking.
Many of the best men’s hiking boots for wide feet are going to include some really useful extras that you’ll want to keep in mind. For instance, are you going to be hiking near wetlands such as lakes, rivers, or swamp and marsh lands? Maybe you’re planning on doing some hiking in the snow or rain prone areas such as the Pacific Northwest? If you answered yes, then you’ll want to get boots with some level of waterproofing.
Are you going to be hiking in a warm environment, perhaps a forest or a very humid area? You’ll likely want your boots to have some level of breathability. Meanwhile, if you’ll be hiking in a muggy or colder environment with snow and/or ice, then boots with traction are incredibly important.
In the end, however, you want to make sure ALL of the boots or shoes you decide to use have a good level of durability. This can be seen in the materials used as well as the warranties offered by some companies. Materials like real leather, for example, are going to up the cost but will last longer for you than other materials.
Review: Best Men’s Hiking Boots For Wide Feet
Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- M Select DRY seals out water and lets moisture escape so you stay dry when you're on the move.Molded nylon arch shank
- Performance suede leather and mesh upper
- Bellows, closed-cell foam tongue keeps moisture and debris out. Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability, 5mm lug depth
- Protective rubber toe cap, Breathable mesh lining
- Vibram TC5+ sole, 5mm lug depth
The Merrell company is known to be one of the best outdoor brands for clothing, shoes, and boots. While they make a lot of stuff, these areas seem to be their bread and butter. This is proven in this Moab 2 option.
“Moab” stands for mother of all boots, as they felt they landed the best boot possible with the original version. Since then, they have developed tons of amazing boots. They kept those with wider feet in mind, which is why they were able to make some of the best men’s hiking boots for wide feet with this waterproof design.
The M Select Dry pretty much means waterproof for the Merrell brand usually. This is an impermeable barrier membrane that won’t let water inside your boots but will allow moisture to escape. They accomplish this due to the pigskin leather and mesh design.
In addition, they also added in a feature that keeps possible debris out. The closed-cell foam tongue does this impressively along with the added protective rubber toe cap. Plus, these boots are breathable, which means your feet will never get too hot.
The boot opening measures at least 6 inches around, which is perfect for guys with wide feet. In a move to add comfort, Merrell decided to use their Kinetic Fit ADVANCED yet removable contoured insole along with enhanced heel and arch structure to this boot.
In addition, they added an integrated cushion pod for some support via a molded nylon arch. They also added in something known as the Shank Merrell Air Cushion, which essentially absorbs shock while also added stability.
If that was not enough, they also added useful Vibram TC5+ 5mm Lug depth, which is essentially a very comfortable midsole that adds stability and comfort. This comes with the easy to see rubber sole too.
Prices differ wildly for these boots, mostly due to the size you need as well as the color chosen. It’ll be good to keep that in mind when looking for them.
Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GORE-TEX Men’s Wide Hiking Boots
- Waterproof Hiking Boots: Whether you are hitting the trails or looking for a solid work shoe, these extra durable, waterproof, mid hiking boots are designed for maximum traction on all terrains
- A Better Way Down: Designed with Descent Control Technology, the X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX mid hiking boot efficiently tackles technical hikes and really shines during tough descents, even in wet conditions
- Adventure Awaits: Whether you love a local day hike or hitting the trails for a multi-day adventure, Salomon makes innovative hiking and backpacking shoes and boots for men and women to help you go the distance
- Time To Play: Whether you are into trail running, hiking, backpacking, or mountaineering, Salomon has shoes and gear for kids, men and women to help you conquer a new distance, personal record, or event
- Since 1947 Salomon has created innovative outdoor sports gear; From running and hiking to backpacking, skiing and more, our shoes, boots, bags, apparel and accessories help make any path your own
You may not know the Salomon brand very well yet but we assure you that they know exactly what they are doing with their boots. These particular boots are actually a favorite of the team at Amazon, as they made it one of their major suggestions for hiking boots.
How did the team make some of the best men’s hiking boots for wide feet? They considered the wider foot right as they were making the boots. They tested them over many months and years to make sure everyone could find comfort with them and be active.
They wanted to make sure you could get a perfect fit out of them. They are so responsible in this area that they offer a chart for people buying online. This way, you can know, man or woman, what size is best for you. For men, they have the U.S. sizes 7 to 14, for example.
The bigger the size, the higher the price. This is why there’s no certain price given by us above.
Overall, these boots are made with 100% synthetic fibers. They employ sensifit with these boots and are synergistically made to work well with the reinforced top arm. This holds your feet comfortably in place even as you’re moving downhill. It also helps the boots become water-resistant.
An advanced chassis was used as well and they even surrounded it with foam cushioning for even more comfort. The chassis will stabilize your heel by connecting you properly with the sole of boots.
Two different types of rubber are used for boots too. One supposedly offers a better, intense level of grip. The other helps the heel grab terrain more aggressively, giving you more overall control when moving around.
The tech in these boots goes above and beyond. They added Ortholite, Injected EVA, a Protective Heel Cap, and finally GORE-TEX Performance Comfort Footwear. All of this makes these boots safe to walk around in and become as comfortable as possible.
Timberland Men’s Chocorua Trail Mid Waterproof
- These waterproof men's hiking boots mean business on the trails, lend a rugged aesthetic to your streetwear look, and use Timberdry membranes to keep your feet dry.
- LOOK NO FURTHER for trail-ready performance and style. Our selection of men’s hiking boots, waterproof hiking boots, casual boots, and casual shoes is designed to fit in with your outdoor-ready ensembles.
- TIMBERLAND HAS YOU COVERED whether you're looking for men's boots, women's boots, or kids boots. For the best in hiking boots, rain boots, work boots, casual shoes & boots & more, choose Timberland.
- WHAT YOU NEED IN THE OUTDOORS: Timberland has the gear you need for all your outdoor adventures, including jackets and coats for outdoor activities, backpacks and luggage & outdoor accessories.
- THE BEST IN OUTDOORS: Trust Timberland's line of high-quality men's, women's, and kids boots. hiking boots, outdoor gear, and activewear for all your activities from the trail to the sea to the streets.
Timberland is a top brand in outdoor gear. Like others, they truly want to make sure you get a proper pair of boots for any outdoor needs you may have. They have always championed helping people with all types of feet.
In fact, the size chart alone for these shoes offers male U.S. sizes from 6 to 16. They even offer width scales from 3A to 2XW. However, that is the manufacturer only. For those bought exclusively from Amazon, the width sizes go from XXN to XXW. This breaks down to extra-extra narrow & extra-extra wide.
This is still an incredibly wide selection, literally.
These boots are trail-ready and capable of handling multiple environments. This is especially true for those heading into humid or wet environments. This is where they show us that they made some of the best men’s hiking boots for wide feet on the planet.
Timerdry, the companies waterproof technology, is employed for these boots. They are made of pure leather, which pushes off any water like it’s nothing. They also cover your ankles and feet to where you can walk into puddles and zero water will seep through.
The best part about these boots is that, while they are incredibly comfortable and made for hikers…they look really cool. This allows you to wear them on dates, random functions, and make them an everyday pair to wear.
KEEN Men’s Targhee Iii Mid Wp Wide Hiking Boot
- WATERPROOF: The KEEN.DRY waterproof, breathable membrane keeps your feet dry and comfortable all day long by allowing vapor out without letting water in; All leather is treated with a PFC-free water repellant, so you still get the same protection without the harmful chemicals
- TRACTION: KEEN ALL-TERRAIN rubber outsole provides high-traction grip in muddy environments and on rocky surfaces with 4mm multi-directional lugs; Non-marking rubber outsoles leaves no trace or imprints when walking indoors
- SUPPORT: The Torsion stability External Support Shank (ESS) provides support on uneven surfaces; the injected TPU heel-capture system provides next-level stability
- FIT & COMFORT: Low-profile upper for comfort and secure fit with padded tongue and collar; The removable, metatomical dual-density EVA footbed provides excellent arch support and cradles to the natural contours of the foot
- CARE TIPS: We've carefully selected leather uppers designed to last; However, if you're wearing your KEENs daily, they won't always be scuff and dirt-free; To treat day to day wear and tear, especially on lighter color leathers, we recommend using a common leather cleaner and conditioner
Like others on this list, KEEN is a top outdoor company. However, they almost exclusively work make just shoes and boots. They do this incredibly well and seemingly can provide anything one might need in this sector.
This is why it is not a shock that they made some of the best men’s hiking boots for wide feet. KEEN more than some are very high on making footwear that will fit any man or woman that buys from them.
That is where the KEEN Men’s Targhee comes into play. The brand may very well make the absolute best hiking shoes and boots you’ll ever come across. As a result, we had to include something from them on our list.
This particular pair uses rubber and partial leather throughout. The shaft of the boots is calf-high from the arch while the boot opening measures up to 5 inches around. This can be slightly altered depending on the size you buy. Prices will also differ.
They also added in tons of comfort with a Dual-Density EVA footbed that offers all-day arch support and comfort. It is also removable, so you can take it out for something else or buy another from KEEN to replace the one it comes with after you have worn them for a while.
To us, this helps to make the boots more valuable. They have staying power.
These boots also fit the weight we mentioned above. Typically, they do not get above 5lbs even at their biggest. KEEN offers a wide variety from their own website as well as Amazon. For Amazon alone, the wide feet concept is certainly of major importance for them.
This is why they offer U.S. men’s sizes from 7-Wide to 17-Wide. This is a huge selection for sure.
Another cool thing we loved about these boots is that they do not make marks. The outsole is designed for hikers to enjoy the land without leaving major tracks behind. These could ideally be a great pair of boots to wear when trying to hide.
Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus Ii Suede Waterproof Boot
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: This Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus II Suede Waterproof hiking boot features our signature lightweight midsole for long-lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as our high-traction grip outsole.
- QUALITY MATERIALS: Waterproof suede and leather make up the construction of this boot for a protective yet stylish silhouette and build.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: A lace-up closure ensures an adjustable, secure fit.
- DURABILITY: Metal hardware and a seam-sealed construction makes this hiking boot durable enough to withstand rain, muck, puddles, and more.
- OMNI-GRIP: This multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments. A dual-zone winter tread pattern ensures solid footing on surfaces such as ice and snow.
Columbia is yet another top brand in the outdoor gear world. They have made some of the best outdoor clothing, shoes, and boots that you can buy. They also tend to offer them all for a fair price. The brand even concerns itself with the environment and some animal-protection material.
These boots are actually made with tough and long-lasting faux leather that looks as close to the real thing as you can get. They also employ suede & mesh materials to offer some breathability as well as some bendability.
The sole is synthetic while the overall boots are ankle-high from the arch. We love the tech Columbia put into these boots too. In fact, it is the extras that helped make these some of the best men’s hiking boots for wide feet.
They have a large offering of boot sizes too. All in wide-fit, you can see sizes from 7 to 17. This is one of the widest selections on our list.
The fake leather, as well as suede, give us a waterproof pair of boots. They also added metal hardware and seam-sealed construction to give these boots staying power and great durability. You can literally put these boots through just about anything and they’ll last.
The protective nature of these boots is certainly worthy of note but they also look stylish at the same time. At the end of the day, you’re getting boots that can be an everyday pair.
The lace-up closure feature presents an adjustable and secure fit. This way, you don’t lose them randomly going up and down randomly hills. The Omni-Grip assists with this and helps them work well in pretty much every environment.
This also comes with a dual-zone winter tread pattern, which will give you proper traction..thus solid footing on ice and snow.
We love all of the boots listed above, so it would be hard for us to give a proper pick. Each is among the best men’s hiking boots for wide feet that we have seen. We’d buy and wear them all, so we will leave it up for you to decide which pair you love most.
If you’re looking for something great for the environment and animals, with proper durability….the option from Columbia is right up your alley. Meanwhile, if you’re looking for boots protected by comfort and a brand that always does well with boots, the option from KEEN is your best pick.
Meanwhile, if you like a fashionable pair of boots that can handle anything you need from them, the option from Timberland is your best choice. However, if your needs come down strictly to the best waterproof boots that can handle other issues too, then Merrell’s option is your best pick.
For some, it’ll be down completely to comfort. Perhaps, you’re looking for something that can be an everyday pair but you want them to be great for everything outdoor-related. At the same time, you want something incredibly comfortable too.
If that’s you, then we feel strongly that the option from Saloman is the best direction for you to take here.