Ready for your next hiking adventure? Timberlands were designed for harsh winters, but soon become fashionable enough to be worn on different occasions. But, are Timberlands good for hiking?
The classic Timberland work boots are not good or made for hiking! However, Timberland does offer a variety of boots that are perfect for hikers. For your convenience, I’ve listed several below. Check them out and see which one best fits your needs.
When they were first made, Timberlands were the first all-leather waterproof boots, and they quickly became loved by outdoor enthusiasts. These boots were introduced in 1973 and might have been the best option for active users. However, nowadays, technology has evolved a lot, so are the famous yellow leather boots suitable for hiking and other outdoor adventures? Keep on reading to find out.
By the way, as an Amazon Associate, I earn when buying qualified products through links on my site.
Timberlands – Are they Good for Hiking or Not?
Timberland currently offers various models of boots to appeal to many different people around the globe.
The Timberland Classic Boots
The Classic 6-inch Premium Waterproof Boots are probably what comes to your mind when the word Timberland is mentioned. Known for their signature design and their distinctive logo, these boots are designed for heavy-duty use. In most cases, the Classic Timberland can be considered an excellent work boot. However, it might not be the best option for hiking.
These boots are adequately insulated, featuring a premium leather upper. As a result, they will keep your feet warm during winter. The padded collar feels comfortable while supporting your feet, allowing you to wear your boots for a long time without any pain. Walking around and standing won’t feel tiresome because these boots feature a second midsole layer for extra support.
Nevertheless, these boots aren’t the best for hiking for the following reasons.
- The Classic Timberlands are rather heavy. A single boot of a size 9 weighs 1 pound and 13 ounces. This will strain your feet when you’re hiking, affecting the overall distance traveled.
- The high collar can be a bit restricting and might cause pain when you walk for long distances.
- These boots are designed to keep your feet warm with 14 ounces of PrimaLoft® insulation for cold winters. However, if you’re planning to go hiking, these boots will make your feet too hot and sweaty, especially in the summer.
The Timberland Pro Boots
Although you can see them on the streets, the Pro boots are more suitable for the worksite. Professionals use these boots because they’re rugged. They are designed to protect your feet from several hazards if you’re working in the field of construction, piping, or any other similar profession where you need to keep your feet protected. At the same time, due to their timeless and elegant design, you can definitely join your friends for a drink or two after work, while you rock your amazing boots.
The Pro Boondock boots feature a composite safety toe to protect your toes from heavy objects. The composite safety toe is lighter than a steel one, and won’t weigh you down, especially if you’re walking or standing for long periods. The Goodyear welt/cement heel construction guarantees that your boots will last for a long time.
These boots are made of waterproof leather that will keep your feet dry till the end of the day. The dynamic anti-fatigue technology absorbs shock, while the rubber outsoles feature deep lugs to provide excellent traction on snow and soil.
Despite all their cool features, the Pro Boondock boots might not be the best to pick if you’re looking for functional hiking boots for the following reasons:
- These boots are heavy compared to other hiking boots, one boot weighs 2.29 pounds. A heavyweight pair of hiking boots put a lot of strain on your back, knees, and hips. You might not feel how much your performance is affected until you’ve switched to lighter boots.
- The composite safety toe protects your toes from heavyweight objects but prevents your toes from stretching. After a long day of continuous hiking, your toes need that extra space for added comfort.
- These boots lack the cushioning that you need on a pair of good hiking boots. Your tendons and muscles get tired when you walk for long distances, and you need a supportive layer that provides better cushioning to decrease fatigue.
Does Timberland Offer Good Hiking Boots?
Unlike all the other models, hiking boots are made specifically for long walks and outdoor adventures. There are actually several models, and all are waterproof, so they’re suitable for all outdoor lovers.
Timberland White Ledge Waterproof Mid Hiking Boots
You can find good hiking boots that are made of recycled plastic bottles. This makes the White Ledge Waterproof Mid Hiking boots quite efficient at protecting your feet from wet soil and rain, without adding much weight to your feet. These boots are padded around the ankles and don’t sit too high, allowing your feet to move comfortably and reducing the risk of annoying friction.
Because they’re designed for long hikes, these hiking boots feature an EVA foam layer to provide better cushioning. This will allow you to walk for long distances without feeling any discomfort.
These boots are waterproof to keep your feet dry in all weather conditions. They also feature a multi-directional lug design for better traction on all surfaces.
Timberland Mt. Maddsen Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots
The Mt. Maddsen Mid Waterproof Hiking boots are also very popular because they’re rugged and durable without adding extra weight that can affect movement. They feature a premium full-grain waterproof leather upper to protect your feet from the rain and wet soil, keeping your feet dry and comfortable till the end of the day. The TimberDry™ membrane protects your feet from water, without making them too hot or sweaty.
Featuring anti-fatigue comfort, these boots are designed to accommodate your bones, muscles, and tendons after a long hike. They won’t feel limiting or restricted because they’re designed to reduce pressure and discomfort. At the same time, these boots feature an internal TPU shank, which adds more rigidity were needed to protect your legs from accidents.
Hiking in these shoes feels exceptionally comfortable because they feature EVA midsoles that provide better cushioning and shock absorption. One boot weighs 1 pound and 1 ounce, so it’s lighter than the Classic ones.
Timberland Field Trekker Mid Hiking Boots
These hiking boots will keep your feet comfortable till the end of the day, thanks to the OrthoLite® footbeds. They feature EVA midsoles that absorb shock to protect your muscles and tendons from pain. They also reduce fatigue that you normally feel at the end of the day, so you can relax comfortably.
The Field Trekker Mid Hiking boots won’t strain your feet as they’re made of a blend of high-quality leather and ReBOTL™ fabric. The waterproof lining is made of recycled plastic bottles, so these boots are also suitable for environmentalists. This lining protects your feet from water without making them too hot. Thanks to the Defender Repellent Systems® treatment, these shoes will always look as good as new as they’re resistant to stains.
Timberland Garrison Trail Hiking Sneakers
Timberland offers another type of hiking shoes that are mainly made of synthetic leather and ReBOTL™ fabric. The Garrison Trail Hiking Sneakers are very lightweight as they’re mostly made of plastic bottles that protect your feet from the water. They feature EVA midsoles to relieve pain and provide decent cushioning when you walk for long distances.
These are suitable for people who prefer sneakers that sit low, decreasing the risk of chafing and discomfort that you’re likely to experience when your boots sit too high. Compared to other hiking boots, these are very comfortable as the fabric doesn’t restrict your feet, allowing them to stretch comfortably after a long walk. The TimberGrip™ technology provides excellent traction on multiple surfaces to protect you from painful slips and falls.
Why Should You Choose Timberland Hiking Boots?
Timberland has always been known to make shoes that fit great and last long. There are several models and types that appeal to every user, and hikers can always find functional hiking boots that they can depend on. Here are some reasons why you should buy Timberland hiking boots:
- Timberland is famous for making true-to-size shoes. Unlike other brands that might run too large or too small, your feet will always feel comfortable when you’re wearing Timberlands.
- All the shoes, sneakers, and boots are made using high-quality materials and the latest production technologies. The company keeps adding new models that are more rugged and durable, so the shoes are excellent value for money.
- Timberland is currently more eco-friendly, using recycled rubber and plastic bottles for manufacturing its high-quality shoes. These models are exceptionally comfortable and provide decent traction on all surfaces for maximum safety.
- The hiking boots feature EVA midsoles to absorb shock and provide better cushioning. They reduce the fatigue that you’re likely to feel at the end of a long hike, so you can stay active all day long.
- Timberland hiking boots are durable yet lightweight. These boots are exceptionally rugged and sturdy, so they’re durable enough for hiking and other outdoor adventures. However, they won’t weigh your feet down. They’re comfortable and light, so you can keep on hiking.
Timberland offers lots of models for men and women. The classic Timberlands are suitable for everyday use, especially in winter. There are also great work boots that you can wear on the job site. However, these models aren’t suitable for hiking because they can be too heavy.
Luckily, there are lots of boots and sneakers that are specifically designed for hiking. These boots are lightweight, yet durable enough to withstand the challenging conditions you will experience when you’re going on a long hike.